"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oh how I love thee.....

As an adult, I'm not much on Valentine's Day. Now don't get me wrong, I truly love the flowers and chocolates my sweet husband gives me. We generally go out to dinner and just truly enjoy each other's company. One year we went away eagle watching. That was a very special weekend.....God even gave us a magical snowfall!

I've heard some people lament about how they think Valentine's Day is just a day for florists and candy companies to make money. I may have felt like that a time or two myself in the past. As I have become older.....and maybe a little wiser, I realize that Valentine's Day is a day to celebrate.....and perhaps be grateful.....for  the love we have and for the people in our lives. We need to let these special people know every day how we feel, but Valentine's Day is a special day.....it's a day set aside to let people know how much they mean to us.

My memory goes back to when I was a child and anticipating the school Valentine's Day Party! I would carefully decorate my "Valentine card box" out of an old shoe box. Sometimes I'd wrap the box in pink and red construction paper and then fashion white lace doilies into hearts. I'd even use a bit of aluminum foil and glitter! I'd proudly carry that decorated box to school and anxiously wait for Valentine's Day. When "the day" finally arrived, I'd lift the lid off my box and open all the little sentiments from my friends! Oh what a happy day that was!

Then the party.....pretty pink iced sugar cookie hearts, red punch.....do you remember the big heart-shaped lollipops that had the white edging on them, that would coat your tongue white as soon as you started
licking it? And who could forget the little multi-colored heart shaped candies that had all the cute little "love" sayings printed on them.....be mine.....I love you.....

So remember when Valentine's Day rolls around again in a couple of weeks.....whether you  buy a card, a heart-shaped box of chocolates, or whatever else you end up doing, remember how much you love and are grateful for that person in your life. AND.....don't forget to celebrate the love you have for your pets!

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Please share some of your Valentine's Day memories in the comment section below! :)



3 comments:

Jeanne Beebe said...

Oh, how I loved this!! ♥

Simpler Times said...

Thank you Jeanne! You're one of the reasons I celebrate Valentine's Day! Hugs!

Marilyn L Aden said...

Very good. Thanks for this!