"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Monday, January 6, 2020

Just a pleasant day...

I was out and about earlier today for an appointment and afterwards I thought I’d grab a bite at McDonald’s...I know, I know, not the best choice! I was picking up my order from a young gentleman at the drive-up window and I casually asked him ‘how are you today?’ to which he replied ‘Livin’ the dream’. It’s just the way he looked...so deadpan serious and the way he said it. I sat there, slapped my leg and cracked up laughing! I drove off still chuckling.

I know it probably sounds odd, but I like to eat while sitting at the back of our library parking lot. There’s a long row of beautiful tall white pine trees that I enjoy looking at. I can sit there and daydream about being along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin or Michigan. Such lovely thoughts cross my mind.

As I was eating the idea crossed my mind to run by and see ‘my girls’ and their mom, my sweet friend, Sheri, for awhile. They were as surprised to see me as I was surprised to see that all four girls were home!

We had a very nice visit. The three older girls, who are 17, 15 and 13, were scurrying around the kitchen getting lunch ready while Sheri was on the phone. I sat there awestruck by how they all just pitched in, heated food up and sat it all out on the table. All healthy gluten and dairy-free food. When I was that age?? Sugar, carbs...The youngest girl, who is 9, was sitting beside me and showing me her journal, and how she’s in the process of writing a song about Jesus.

After all the activity of getting lunch ready it became very quiet in the kitchen. Four heads were bowed and the 9 year old said prayers. In all my 63 years I’ve never seen kids like this. They love Jesus so much and they live for Him daily with all their heart. There’s two older brothers who are now on their own and they have their own ways of ministering to people about Jesus.

Around six years ago I prayed for a family of kids and God speedily answered that prayer. We met at the library so hence I’m still lovingly called the ‘Library Lady’. They wrapped their arms and hearts around me then and have never let go. This family has truly been a blessing to me in so many ways. I love them all dearly.

2 comments:

neighbor said...

The post is a good description of your pleasant day. Great writing!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful story Kathy