"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Saturday, February 17, 2024

My Comfort


This afternoon I have been reading encouraging words in the Bible from the book of 2 Timothy, where the apostle Paul is writing to Timothy from inside dark prison walls. Paul knew he was going to soon be put to death. Paul understood suffering, and Timothy also understood since he had an ailment. I utter the words “help me Jesus” throughout my long days. He is always a comforting presence—even though I don’t always feel it, but He is there. Like Paul wrote in Romans 8:26-28~”Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”

Because of unrelenting pain, I have been clinging to my heated rice bag for many months now. I have to constantly reposition my bag to bring some much needed relief to all the painful areas in both my thumbs and hands. The deep moist heat of the rice bag is a comfort as it deeply warms my damaged tendons and muscles. It feels good—but it only feels good for a fleeting amount of time. Once I remove the rice bag I will soon need it again and again for comfort. Only through God can we have infinite comfort and strength. I cling to Him. Psalm 63:8~”I cling to You; Your strong right hand holds me securely.”

To cling to God means to hold onto Him, to hold fast to Him, to trust Him and Him alone, to remain faithful to Him, to remain steadfast in His love for us and to keep our eyes fixed on Him. May we always remember that our help comes from God. May we dwell securely in His unfailing love for us. Psalm 28:7~”The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him.”

No comments: