"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hidden talents...

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'."~Erma Bombeck

At this stage in my life, I'm just now finding out some of the talents I never knew I had. Either that or I hadn't recognized what I was given by God as being a talent. I had the distinct impression that a "talent being used for God" was like singing, being a good speaker, or a musician in His ministry.

So now I recognize that one of the talents He gave me is compassion. But I had to "acquire" compassion; it didn't just come naturally to me. I acquired it by personally having various diseases, numerous surgeries, and losing my dad and just recently, my mom. There's been many a time, more than I can even remember, that I've sat in a hospital or doctor's waiting room talking to and consoling someone, and many of those times I've been able to pray with them.

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” ~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Doctors and nurses are generally surprised at my good attitude. There again, it is "an attitude" and I try not to let them think that I sit at home and worry about what may happen next.....though as a human being I have to admit that at times I do just that. I want to be a shining example for Jesus and have complete faith and trust in Him. He's the One that gave me peace throughout my cancer diagnosis and subsequent surgery a few years back. He gave me peace when I recently lost my mom. He gives me peace daily when I struggle with multiple sclerosis. Though I must admit, this is harder for me since multiple sclerosis really affects every aspect of my daily life. This disease affects me physically and emotionally due to the damage it's done in my central nervous system. It also affects me by just trying to cope with the pain and strain of a chronic illness. Only supportive family and true friends really understand. I try to cope with this unpredictable disease by reading His Word, praying and listening to Christian music. There's many days that I don't do these things. I forget about doing them when I'm not feeling well. But I really try to. I try to lift my troubles up to Him every day, and to also thank Him for my many blessings. So I really try to have a good attitude.

“Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose, there are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from.”  ~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
"A smile is a curved line that sets things straight"
I have also learned the power of a smile. My dad always smiled at everyone; that's something I fondly remember about him. A smile does amazing things.

When my husband and I were dating, he noticed and was impressed by how I always called people in the service industry, medical personnel, etc. by their first name. I never think about it. I just automatically look at their name tag. I want to know their name. I know how important it is to be noticed and appreciated.

Maybe what I have just listed aren't considered talents by some. But I feel if I can make someone smile, make their day a little happier, or be able to empathize with what they're going through, then I've accomplished something. I give God all the glory.

No comments: