"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Time to do some volunteer work

Another chapter in my life has closed with my Mom now being in heaven, and another one has opened as I am going to try to do some volunteer work 

I have to say that I am starting to get excited about doing this! I feel I've found something that I can volunteer for that will help a lot of people; and it has something to do with horses (I love horses!); and it will actually benefit me, enrich my life, and I will be able to serve others

I attended my first class of volunteer training this morning. My reaction to the first of three classes:  it was a bit overwhelming, but I feel there's surely something that I can do in this great organization! I am a little disheartened though and feel some inadequacy since my talents are limited and I cannot do all that I would like to do, but I think the administration will work with me on my limitations. The second class is next Wednesday, so I'm going to make it a point to talk with the administrator about my concerns. I feel the only way to deal with my type of problem, is to face it head on!

The organization is called: CIRT or Central Illinois Riding Therapy, a voluntary, non-profit organization providing riding therapy for people with disabilities. During today's class, the director told me that I would actually qualify to participate in this program (being the one taking and paying for classes to ride the horses to learn better muscle control and balance, etc.), which I already know since I have multiple sclerosis, but I want to be on the other end and help others (leading the horse or walking side by side). Maybe reality is just slapping me in the face, telling me that I wouldn't have the strength or stamina to help others in this way. I'm planning on attending the next two classes to see how I do, and to see how comfortable I feel doing it. Time will tell.....I will have to do my best and see what happens. All I can do is try, right?

I will let you know how next week's volunteer training goes!

No comments: