"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Praising God!

Four years ago today I was dreading surgery...having to have two of my lobes in my right lung removed...and I was scared. The malignant tumors were close to my heart and I had been told how difficult this surgery was going to be...and how it would be more painful than open-heart surgery. At that time, I had no idea of the pain I was going to be in later, and how it was going to be difficult to control.

My sister Karla kept reminding me (and she still does!) of how she carried my duffle bag all over the hospital. I remember how I had given her that job. My surgery was delayed for several hours and she got so tired of carrying that silly bag!!! She was finally able to get rid of it after my surgery. I wasn't in my room in ICU yet, but she told me it got so late and they all had to get home, and she just laid it on my bed, hoping it wouldn't get lost and that it was the right room! She also told me how horrible I looked and was wondering how I'd recover. I don't remember anything but pain and not being able to get comfortable! I don't know why she didn't put the silly bag in her car instead of carrying it around all day! I sure didn't think of doing that!

I also remember my mom being there and also my other sister Judy. The three of them didn't leave my side. They got me through that day, and they tried to keep me from thinking too much. Karla told me that the next day after the surgery Mom (being so short) tried to stand up on her toes and hug me and Karla was so afraid she was going to step on all the tubes that were coming out of me and that were laying on the floor. That would have been awful!

I praise God every day for my life. I have trials and tribulations like everyone does, but I am so glad to be alive! My incision is pretty long and it still has quite a bit of numbness from cutting into the nerves, and ever so often I'll stretch or move a certain way and I'll get a twinge of pain in the incision. I think of that twinge as being a reminder, and I just smile, and realize what an awesome God I have in my life!

No comments: