"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Sunday, March 19, 2023

The church on the corner





Sunday School memories—I have fond ones of going to the Free Methodist Church as a young girl in my hometown. The church building sat on a corner behind the Red Fox grocery store. I don’t know if it’s still a church any more or not. I’ll have to take a picture of it the next time I’m there. 

I remember being four years old and attending Sunday School class there. The church held Sunday School in the basement. In the middle of the room sat many pews, one in front of the other. I still remember many of the songs we would sing!  My Sunday School class was in the back of this big room; I remember the big blocks or stones that made up the walls and they were painted white. I loved that room as it was so cozy. Two kids I recall in my class were Rochelle Hadsall and Chris Benton. Chris was so cute—I remember his dark hair and black eyes that twinkled. 


On one Sunday, April 12, 1961 to be exact, it was my birthday. I would have been five years old, and I was so excited! When the offering plate was being passed around the pews I thought the money was a present just for me! 


I rarely attended church after Sunday School but I remember what the upstairs part looked like. One Sunday I just got up to the top of the stairs and there stood this tall man. He had a shiny bald head and only had dark hair along the sides of his head, and he wore black glasses. He looked down at me with a nice big smile. I can just see him. I asked him if he was God! If I recall correctly I think his name was Pastor Pierson. For some reason that name comes to mind. Now mind you I also thought that Jerusalem was heaven! It’s comical how kids perceive things. 


Several other people that attended that church were Mildred and Lloyd Chambers; Ollie and Marshall Weese; Mrs. Wilson and her daughter Becky; Mrs. Garber; and sisters Sharon and Nancy Glore—I remember their Mom too but I forget her first name though it might have been Maxine. They were all very nice people. 


It’s funny how I remember so much about this part of my life since I was so very young. I picture it all so vividly. Maybe I remember it since it was all such good memories. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear the sweet memories you had at church! A blessing that the Lord allows good memories and not just the bad to be impressed in your heart.~Sheri

Anonymous said...

I love this memory. I taught Sunday School at the Free Methodist Church (Crossroads) for about 5 yrs (1987-1992). I loved our adult Sunday School class before I started teaching 3-4 yr old I believe it was that age. I remember the Weeses. Ollie was gramma to all of us. I loved visiting her home too. Our pastor was Don Kaughman. Crossroads Free Methodist Church shut it doors just a short while ago. Thank you again for your memory. ❤️ 💙 💜