"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for every dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."~~~Stephen King

Friday, May 10, 2024

Having A Grandma’s Heart

I sadly have many regrets 

As I became very weak

In the year of 2008

I was no longer strong 

I was traumatized

And lost most of my independence

I quickly declined and became more ill 

All because of how I was treated


When I started dating a man

In the year of 2008

My heart grew to deeply care about him

And I was hoping his little family 

Would love me that much too


But instead of being loved like I wanted 

I was bullied

Scrutinized and judged

Laughed at, put down 

Verbally attacked 

All quietly done in secret

Behind his turned back

Just like they wanted 

As I was from the other side of the track 


I gave up

And quit trying 

Everything went downhill

I just wanted a real family

With kids and grandkids

Since I was unable to have my own 


I thought it would get better 

Thought time would heal the pain

But it didn’t at all  

Just like my health 

It all just took a turn for the worse 

And I experienced no gains 


I look back now and wish

I had been stronger

Had stood and spoken up

Had overcome their abuse

Had handled it differently 

But turn the other cheek they say 

Be the bigger person 

So I kept quiet and prayed

But all I ever wanted

Was a real family 


Abuse is a killer

Trauma is a killer

Stress is a killer 


All I ever wanted vanished 

My heart was crushed 

Babies were snatched from my arms 

Toddlers no longer sat on my lap

Five and six year olds did not understand why 

Where did she go?

Will she come back and play?

Papa please bring her with you next time. 


Holidays are now spent alone 

And have no meaning 

His kids and grandkids 

Are far away and we are home alone 

He goes to his family gatherings

And I stay home 


Many years have slowly gone by

I have no memories of happy parties 

Or presents and gooey cakes

No laughter or kissing boo-boos

No hugs or sticky kisses

Or hearing the words “I love you”

Refrigerator door is empty and bears no photos

Or squiggly drawings colored with love

For grandma has an empty heart 


No cookies to bake

No bedtime stories to tell

About Jesus, flowers and bugs

Or snuggly kittens, warm puppies and snakes 

No giggles or warm fuzzy hearts

No zoos, or swings or picnics 

No making snow angels or tarts 

For grandma has an empty heart


I sit by the window

Through dull eyes I see 

What should have been 

Instead of seeing happy memories 

My eyes are brimming with tears

That are burning and searing down my cheeks 

For a grandma’s heart 

Should be filled with a child’s love

And not full of empty aches and pain


I have a grandma’s heart 

That should overflow  

With the love from pink chubby cheeks 

And little arms around my neck 

Having so much love to give 

My heart bursts open wide 

And emptiness resides instead 


Watching life as it passes me by

Still wishing I had been stronger

But wishing will not change

The hurt of what should have been

Will always last a lot longer 


Instead of having children in my life

I fill it with purrs from sweet kitties 

And a husband that loves me

I know he has his own regrets

As he has to wish things were different 

But no matter how much illness comes my way

He is always there by my side

As we whittle the time away 

Though the pain never leaves my heart

And time does not heal

For grandma has an empty heart



No comments: